A Long time ago in a server far far a way the dark side of the development force was conspiring to make the life of any web developer like hell by fixing them into a static page development but a few freedom fighters in 1995 created the first Personal Home Page Tools(the first PHP) to create a dynamic web pages that would make web development much easier… OK now seriously
What is PHP stands for?
- PHP stands for PHP Hypertext Processor
- It runs on the server and client won’t see any of your code only the final code as a web-page, Image,etc.
- Open-source and Free to download
What can PHP do?
Well using PHP you can do a lot of things here is just a list of a few of the features and by no means all of them:
- Image Creation and Manipulation
- Audio File Manipulation
- PDF file Creation and Manipulation
- Text File Manipulation
- File System Management
- Object Oriented Programming
- File Compression and extraction
- Database management using different Database Management Systems like MySQL,etc.
- The normal programing stuff like manipulation of Strings, Numbers,etc.
- Creating Dynamic, Database driven, web applications
- using APIs and web services
- working with templates using smarty engine
- using different opensource platforms from cakePHP for making applications to different solutions like WordPress, Joomla, PrestaShop,etc.
- and more…
why should you learn it and use it
- It is flexible, because it has so many functions and commands that you will find something for almost any problem that you need to solve
- Good community, if you don’t know the answer there are many forums and blogs out there for people who use PHP that you can use
- Because it runs on the server and it can be installed in almost any web server PHP based programs and websites can be run on ALL Platforms.
- Easy to Learn as you will see in this tutorial
- It is Free to download and Install from there official website www.php.net
how useful is it
- PHP is the base programing language for many of opensource platforms
- PHP is the main language in most blogging platforms like WordPress, Joomla and Drupal
- PHP is the main language behind most e-commerce solutions like zen-cart, PrestaShop and oscommerce
- PHP can work with most web services and APIs
- You can do a lots of different things with it
What should you know before starting